If you are thinking about starting paleo and have done some reading already, then you might be daunted by the number of foods that you might have to cut out of your diet. One of your favorite snack foods might be beef jerky and you might already be terrified of the prospect of giving up this salty snack.
However, there is no need to fear, as there are plenty of brands out there that make beef jerky that is perfectly suitable for the paleo diet. So if you have some buds around for the game and want to indulge in some salted beef, then you still can.
Paleo is a radical new diet that requires you to eat like a caveman. The rationale behind this is that our evolutionary biology hasn’t changed in millions of years, so you’ll want to have foods that accord with your digestive system. This means plenty of organic meat and vegetables, with no processed foods.
There are many do’s and don’ts of the paleo diet, one of the main ones being that you have to rule out grains. This means no beans, bread or rice. The argument here is that this stuff will cause your stomach to inflame dramatically, which will then lead to issues such as autoimmune disease and increased fatigue.
So where can you find the best paleo beef jerky? How can you get all the benefits of this organic meat without compromising any of the flavors? Should you be wanting to include this in your paleo diet? How much does the best beef jerky cost? What is the difference between various brands?
Well, if you want answers to all these beef jerky questions and a lot more, then we would suggest that you read on. We’ll give you a breakdown of some of the best paleo beef jerky that you can currently find on the market, along with a buyer’s guide and some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
This first bag of paleo beef jerky comes in a 2-ounce bag that contains no added antibiotics or hormones, using only fresh grass-fed beef.
This is a very popular choice amongst paleo enthusiasts, with even regular meat-eaters commenting on how fresh this tastes. This comes in a very convenient bag that will allow you a sneak snack at work or before the gym - introducing Steve’s PaleoGoods Original Beef Jerky.
This is a great snack for people on-the-go, with plenty of nutrients and a high amount of tasty salt. The manufacturing process is as natural as it possibly can be and this brand really takes pains to make sure that everything is completely organic.
- This is a family-run business, so if you want to put some money in the back pockets of a local business rather than a huge corporation, then we would recommend that you pick Steve’s.
- Made from 100% fresh beef that has been cured with natural sea salt, you can be sure you won’t violate your paleo principles.
- This contains no artificial colors, supplements or flavorings - all you’re getting is 100% beef without any added flavors.
- This is one of the tastiest snacks that you can currently get on the market, coming with delicious sea salt and all the raw ingredients of dried beef.
- The popularity - because this one is so sought after, you can often find it out of stock in most online retailers.
Next up, we have a really ‘epic’ brand that does so many varieties of beef jerky that you’ll be hard pushed to narrow it down to an actual flavor that you like. You can enjoy this one with the sweet aftertaste of cranberry, which is amazing and completely paleo-friendly - introducing Epic Jerky Bites.
The sheer range of flavors on offer by Epic is amazing - you can have your beef spicy or infused with unique flavors like maple, blueberry and pork. You also won’t have to worry about your paleo diet, as this is made from 100% pasture-raised beef with no additional additives that might inflame your stomach.
- The range of flavors - you can have plenty of flavors with this brand of beef jerky. If you like blueberry and maple or cranberry with spices, then you should definitely pick up one of these packets of beef jerky.
- These come in very easy-to-eat snacky bags, allowing you to eat while you’re on the go. This will fill you up and give you that burst of energy before you start your day.
- This will also be a great source of protein, giving you everything that you need for muscle building, especially useful if you are a gym freak.
- Each bag contains enough to get you through that midday hunger, giving you everything that you need to see you through to dinnertime.
- The price - with a luxury beef jerky comes a luxury price. This might not appeal to someone who does not take their paleo diet that seriously.
As stated on the packet, this next beef jerky only uses 100% grass-fed beef in this, making it one of the most paleo-friendly beef jerky products on the market. Not only that, but it comes with a great natural flavor that you can be sure will give you that super boost before lunch or after a gym session - introducing Sea Salt & Pepper 100% Grass-fed Beef.
This is one of the most delicious beef jerkies that we can find. It comes in a 2-ounce bag that will give you enough beef jerky to keep you going throughout the day. It contains plenty of flavors, from coconut to maple syrup and paprika, result in a very distinctive tasting beef jerky.
- Made with 100% pasteurized beef, this will be one of the tastiest whole food snacks for people who like the dried taste of beautiful beef.
- This is free from harmful additives such as soya oil and sugar. Not a single processed ingredient will pass through your lips with this beef jerky.
- This comes in a handy resealable bag that will allow you to help yourself whenever you need to throughout the day.
- This comes at a fairly reasonable price, considering the quality of the ingredients used. You might find yourself ordering in bulk, as this is incredibly tasty beef jerky.
- Some buyers have complained that this food is very tough and dry, which will make it more or less inedible.
This is another great grass-fed beef jerky range, coming in sealed packets that will give you enough energy to get through the day. This is one of the freshest and most organic beef jerky that you can get out there. It is delicious and salty and can be enjoyed at most events, whether it is a football game or as a cheeky snack at work - introducing Grass-Fed Jerky chews.
This beef is raised in California and contains zero hormones or any other harmful additives. This is perfect for the paleo diet and for anyone who is in the slightest bit environmentally conscious, as it comes with packaging that can be recycled and disposed of very easily.
- This stuff is made from 100% beef that is grass-fed in the sunny Valleys of California. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a decent snack that won’t leave you hankering for more within the hour.
- This is made from grass-fed beef, making it the only meat that is raised in the same way as it would be in nature.
- There are absolutely no carbohydrates in this product, so if you are adhering to a keto diet, then you’ll have no issue snacking on these jerkies.
- There are no added preservatives, so you won’t have to worry about affecting your all-natural diet.
- This jerky has also been described by some users as being a little bit dry, so you might want to add a little homemade relish to it.
This one is made by a company that is committed to producing fresh ingredients that comply with the paleo philosophy. This contains no GMO or artificial elements, coming in just a raw and tasty beef flavor that will have you smacking your lips for more - introducing the Kapow Fit pac beef jerky.
This is made from fresh beef that is raised on this company’s very own farms. Looking at the website, this company has a range of products that includes an assortment of beef. If you are a fan of dried meats and you want to stick to the paleo diet, then we would recommend that you pick up some products from this site.
- If you like beef, then you can be sure that this website will have everything that you need for a decent slice of meat.
- This beef jerky is very easy to rip open and eat and you won’t have to worry about it ruining your paleo diet, as it comes with all-natural ingredients and zero preservatives.
- This also contains no soy or gluten, so if you have dietary intolerances, this will be a great product for you to try out.
- This comes in a very easy to negotiate packet, so if you have the hunger and want to quell it quickly, we would recommend that you pick up a packet today.
- This does contain organic coconut as a sweetener, which might not appeal to any paleo enthusiasts who want to keep the carbs down to a minimum.
This next beef jerky has branded themselves as making a 100% organic beef jerky for their consumers, with an emphasis on high levels of protein that you can be sure will help you build muscle. This is probably the best beef jerky that you can get for sculpting your body - introducing Hunted and Gathered Beef Jerky.
This jerky comes in some delicious flavors, such as peri peri chicken and bush tomato. You can be sure that all the ingredients used in the manufacture of this product will make your hair stand on end and not compromise any of your paleo credentials. This is made with 100% grass-fed beef.
- This is a great source of your daily protein, with all-natural ingredients that will help you build a lot of muscle.
- This beef jerky is 100% made from organic ingredients, with grass-fed cows that you can be sure will have only natural origins.
- This is a very salty jerky, so if you like that extra kick when you tuck into your jerky, then this is the one for you.
- This comes in wonderful flavors like peri peri and bush tomato, both of which are very tangy flavors that will stop you in your tracks when you take a bite out of them.
- The range of flavors might not appeal to anyone looking for that traditional beef jerky flavor.
Now we go to another country that cares a lot about paleo as well as animals, donating a percentage of their profits to various animal charities. This is made with beef made from zero artificial preservatives or hormones - introducing the Paleo Ranch Beef Jerky.
- This is one company that really cares about paleo, so you won’t have to concern yourself with artificial additives.
- This will cause you zero stomach upset, as you will only be ingesting pure and wholesome beef.
- This beef jerky contains no GM products and is without gluten.
- The price - this can be quite expensive to order in small amounts, so we would suggest buying this jerky in bulk.
Our final beef jerky comes from the Cattaneo Brothers family farm, which will guarantee that all the beef has been raised on fine pasteurized land. This is free of gluten and a whole host of other sugary additives that you find in store-bought beef - introducing Cattaneo Bros. Beef Jerky.
- This is only the finest beef, using completely organic curing methods.
- This beef is tasty and chewy, with thousands of customers returning every day to pick up more of their beef.
- This might be difficult to order from countries such as Europe, as they come with a steep shipping price tag.
Popular Beef Paleo Jerky Brands Compared Buying Guide
What things should you be looking at when you’re shopping for a paleo-friendly beef jerky? Well, here are just a few:
Is it Made From Whole Beef?
You’ll want to make sure that the beef used in your beef jerky contains whole ingredients. Make sure that they use fresh beef and only that. Even though this beef is cured, you’ll want to make sure that it is done with natural methods.
Does It Contain Gluten?
This is one thing that a lot of paleo-lovers will want to avoid, as gluten is often found in processed foods and can cause havoc with a person’s digestion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Beef Jerky Paleo?
If you are picking up beef jerky from your local gas station, then you can be sure these will contain plenty of harmful chemicals and preservatives that will certainly class them as not paleo. The point of paleo is to have 100% natural ingredients.
You’ll also want to make sure that your beef jerky paleo contains absolutely zero sugars, as this can be very harmful to the digestive system. Make sure you look at the label before buying your beef jerky to ensure that it either reads ‘primal’ or ‘paleo’.
What Are The Benefits Of Paleo?
The paleo diet has been said to really help with auto-immune diseases that are often caused by gut inflammation. This is because the body has a hard time processing certain foods like grains and sugars, so you could keep them to a minimum and try and get as much fresh fruit, vegetables and meats as possible.