Paleo Sloppy Joes
We made this dish the other night and had lots of folks asking (okay, begging) for the recipe. I *think* I jotted down all the ingredient quantities correctly, but I’ll admit that I was doing about 20 things at once, so I might have goofed here or there. I saw this picture of when Scott was just 1 month old and content to be in a bouncy seat. Those were the days…now it seems I’m chasing him around the kitchen, finding out what things we’ve yet to baby-proof, and always always ALWAYS keeping him safe.
As to the recipe and its precision: we will be making it again and testing and retesting it so we get it just right, but this is pretty darn close. If you prefer some sweetness in your Sloppy Joes (but you aren’t doing things like honey these days) try adding in some balsamic vinegar — it usually works great at adding some sweetness!
Oh, how I miss the days of him being happy in a bouncy seat…
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or other cooking fat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown or yellow (prepared) mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, then add your onions and sauté until slightly translucent.
- Add your beef, and cook, breaking apart any big chunks of meat.
- Once meat is completely browned, add all remaining ingredients, stirring very thoroughly to combine well.
- Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until sauce is somewhat thickened and flavors have had a chance to meld.