Today has been just like any other day…you know, the baby waking up at some dark hour, then proceeding to do a face-plant on the floor (giving him his first fat lip), biting me, etc. Yet it’s also a little more exciting than that as today we gave birth to our new baby: Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort Foods (now available at most major bookstores/sellers). I only wish real childbirth was as easy as that! We are beyond thrilled with the reception thus far, and think you all will enjoy this one!
We had a great time celebrating the book’s release last night with friends, family and colleagues. Local Three was kind enough to cook up some of the recipes from the book for folks to enjoy (our Jalapeno Poppers, Butternut Squash Dip, El’s Wings and Curried Deviled Eggs), and we had a great time toasting the new release!
Though Robb, Nicki and Zoe couldn’t be with us in person, we had a blast chatting with Robb on his podcast about the new book (and about all sorts of other things). Go on and check out his podcast if you want to learn way too much about us!
We do hope you’ll go on out and purchase your very own copy of Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort Foods (available now at most major book retailers), that you might consider leaving a review, or telling those you know about the book!
Until then, here’s another recipe straight from the book to whet your whistle.
These are like root vegetable latkes, with some sweetness from the parsnips and carrots, a little kick from the horseradish and some earthiness from the beets. We love topping these with a dollop of prepared horseradish mixed with some homemade mayo for an extra kick!
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup almond, coconut or sweet potato flour
- 3 medium scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded parsnips
- 1 cup shredded beets
- Oil or cooking fat of choice, for sautéing
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Mix together the eggs, flour, scallions, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the vegetables and combine well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fill a measuring cup (1/4 cup or 1/3 cup is suggested) to the top with the root vegetable mixture and invert on the skillet, forming a flat patty (use a spatula to press down and flatten). Repeat until there are 4 or 5 patties in the skillet. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until slightly crispy. Remove the patties to a sheet pan and place them in the oven to keep warm. Repeat the procedure, adding more oil with each batch, until all root vegetable mixture is used.
- Serve hot from the oven.
- NOTE: Be sure to read the label on your horseradish, as not all brands are created equal and many contain soybean oil.
- EQUIPMENT NOTE: This is one of those recipes where a shred blade on a food processor makes your life infinitely easier. While, sure, you could hand shred the vegetables, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to shred them with your food processor!
Thank you all for your support of the new book! We hope it makes your time in the kitchen quicker and easier!