Howdy Paleo Land!
So, we are in the final days of our contest to draw our Le Creuset winner. Since we made Mashed Cauliflower on Monday, we figured why not kill two birds with one stone. So, here is the recipe for our pot roast – the epitome of comfort food! And, leftovers freeze incredibly well! The lucky winner can use the Le Creuset 4 quart cocotte to cook up the delicious meal. Don’t forget to send us your pre-order receipt to us by midnight Sunday to be in the drawing. Thanks for your support!
3-4 lb (2kg) chuck roast
3 cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste (optional)
2 tbs. bacon grease or oil of your choice
2 c. (300g) carrots- chopped
1 medium onion- chopped
3 c. (300g) celery- chopped
3 c. (450g) mushrooms- sliced
2 c. (500mL) dry red wine
1 can- 28 ounces (840mL) tomatoes
1 c. (250mL) water
2 c. (500mL) beef stock
1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 300F (150C)
2. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Cut slits in meat and insert garlic.
3. Season meat with salt/pepper (if desired) & heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
4. Add oil/bacon grease until just smoking, then add roast and sear each side approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove roast from heat.
5. Add onion, carrots, mushrooms & celery and saute until onions are translucent. Place meat back in the pot.
6. Pour wine, tomatoes, water, stock, vinegar & herbs and bring to boil.
7. Remove from stove, cover and place in oven, turning meat over about every hour or so.
8. Cook 3-4 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
9. Serve over that tasty mashed cauliflower you made!
If cooking with wine is not your thing, just leave the wine out and replace with additional stock. Please just don’t use “cooking wine,” as that stuff is loaded with salt!