Anyone who has ever enjoyed fresh fish will tell you that the best tasting stuff is the stuff that is caught in the wild. Not only is fresh fish brimming with nutrients, but it is full of long-chain omega-3 oils that are great for skin, hair and joint health.
If you are on a paleo diet, then having fresh fish will be a must. You’ll want completely natural ingredients to improve your gut health and avoid auto-immune diseases. This is quite simply one of the best foods to have regularly in order to improve your overall health.
Fresh salmon is also deliciously tasty, you won’t find yourself hankering for more once you have eaten it. You can get fresh fish at your local fish market, so it is readily available and relatively cheap to buy. You can also keep fresh fish for weeks in the refrigerator and months in the freezer.
But where can you find the best smoked salmon? How can you find salmon that is devoid of any added ingredients? How much should you have to pay for decent fresh salmon? What are the health benefits of this fish? Why should you buy this in the market rather than the supermarket?
Well, if you want answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would recommend that you read on. We have everything that you need to know about salmon as well as how you can apply it to your paleo diet.
OUR TOP PICK
This first salmon is one made by a company that specializes in paleo-friendly dishes, also doing beef jerky that is suitable for people on the paleo diet. This salmon has rich and sumptuous flavors, to the point where you’ll think this one has been pulled fresh from the ocean - introducing Epic Smoked Salmon Strips.
- This comes with plenty of delicious proteins and fats, giving you everything that you need not only for a paleo diet but also for a keto one too.
- These strips are extremely tasty, giving you everything you need for a super dose of omega-3 oil and fish protein.
- This has a hint of maple oil and coconut, although all the ingredients used in the making of this fish are 100% natural and organic.
- The price - this salmon is a little on the expensive side
This next fish comes from the waters of Alaska, caught, frozen, prepared and packaged very quickly to guarantee you fresh fish delivered straight to your door. This is prepared the traditional way, smoked over alder fires and rubbed with Native American brine - introducing Alaska Smokehouse Smoked Sockeye Fillet.
- This is prepared the old-fashioned way, guaranteeing you a completely organic and fresh fish that you can eat without sacrificing your paleo principles.
- This fish is raised on the plains of Alaska, which is world-renowned for having some of the best fish.
- This is prepared with traditional Native American brine. When it comes to prep and ingredients, this is one of the best fish dishes that money can buy.
- The price - this is very affordable, so if you and your family are trying paleo, then you can buy this fish in bulk and ultimately save yourself some money.
- This brand is quite popular, so it might be hard to come by. You should look at picking some up a soon as possible.
This next salmon is prepared by catching the fish and then hanging it upside down and filleting it fresh after the catch. There are zero added ingredients apart from natural brine. It contains no sugar or added wet brine, making it one of the most wholesome foods that you can currently pick up on the market - introducing London Cure Smoked Scottish Salmon.
- All this contains is a few simple ingredients like rock salt and oak smoke. This gives it a very unique flavor using very traditional prepping methods.
- This is great for the paleo diet as it contains basically no added ingredients except fresh rock salt that keeps it in line with paleo philosophy.
- There are zero nitrates in this smoked salmon, meaning that it will not interfere with your digestion too much.
- The price - this is very reasonably priced, so we would recommend that if you are buying for a large group that you pick up some of these in bulk to make a saving.
- Some buyers have complained that this salmon is slightly dry when they receive it, which could be a problem with the delivery process.
Next up, we have a salmon that is wonderful for the health of your brain, giving you everything that you need for a very rich diet as well as healthy joints and good skin. This fish comes with hardly any additional ingredients, so you can be sure that it will contain very few sugars and nitrates - introducing Smoked Salmon Trio.
- This comes in a convenient package that you can be sure will ship very quickly to your door.
- This comes in whole salmon fillets that you can cook quickly and easily. They go great in salads or cooked on their own with some fresh vegetables.
- This comes packaged with absolutely no added sugars or preservatives. This makes it great if you are trying to reduce the amount of inflammation in your gut.
- This is a very convenient snack for when you are out on-the-go. It is a great fish for those who are struggling to find something healthy.
- The price - this is one of the most expensive fish that you can get for the price, so you might not want to order too much of it?
This next salmon is premium, caught by fishermen and then cured in a traditional manner that involves no additional ingredients or preservatives. This is simply smoked with natural wood and then rubbed in sea salt. You will not find a finer, fresher salmon on the market - introducing Smoked King Salmon.
- The smoked taste really is pronounced with this salmon, it will mimic all the natural and sumptuous flavors of the deep sea.
- This is very rich in natural sea salts, so if you want to increase your sodium intake, we would suggest that you opt for this fish dish.
- This is very tasty and will have the texture of the tender fish that you get in a restaurant.
- This fish is flash-frozen to preserve as much of the flavor as possible. You can also keep this in the freezer, where it will stay fresh for months.
- The price - this is another fish that does come with a hefty price tag.
Next up, we have something a little different - wild salmon nuggets. These tasty little morsels will go great in any kind of salad, fish stir fry or broth. It is smoked with tasty maple and salt, preserving as much of the natural taste as you can imagine - introducing the Wild Caught Canadian Maple Smoked Wild King Salmon Nuggets.
- This is one of the easiest salmon to buy for novice chefs. It comes pre-sliced, so you won’t have to worry about too much prep before cooking.
- This is prepared with tasty salt and sweet maple syrup, which will give you salmon a very unique flavor.
- These are packed with gold foil so that all the flavor is preserved. This will retain all the flavor of the riverbed.
- This is a very versatile dish, you can have it in a summer salad, a fish broth or a stir fry with some vegetables.
- The price - this is another very expensive product, so be sure that you like salmon before committing to a purchase.
This salmon is cold smoked with fruitwood, giving it a very rich and unique flavor. This is preserved using maple and natural salt brine - introducing Smoked Sockeye Salmon.
- This is a delicious lox fish, prepared in such a manner as to lock all the natural flavors in.
- This contains salt and spices, so you can be sure of a delicious flavor as soon as you put it in the frying pan.
- The price - this is another very expensive fish dish.
Another salmon is preserved using gold foil to retain as many of the flavors as possible. This is seasoned purely with salt, so you won’t have to worry about it being dry and tasteless - introducing Premium Wild Alaskan Smoked Sockeye.
- This fish requires no refrigeration, it contains enough salt that you can simply keep in in the cupboard to make sure that it stays fresh.
- This is a very tasty fish, you can flash fry it and it will be cooked ready within 15 minutes.
- This fish has been complained of being too dry, which has caused some buyers to even return it.
This is another wild Alaskan salmon, fed on only the most natural ingredients and preserved using zero preservatives. It is perfect for anyone adhering to a paleo or other organic diet - introducing the Kasilof Wild Alaskan Smoked Sockeye Salmon.
- This comes with a foil pouch that traps in all the flavor. As soon as you open the packet, the smell of the fresh outdoors will hit you immediately.
- This is preserved using organic sea salt and maple, which will not only suspend the fish in its natural oils but will give it a delicious flavor.
- This fish is preserved with brown sugar, which might not be appealing to anyone who wants to significantly lower their carb count.
This is another lox that is amazing on the taste buds, preserved with natural ingredients, it is a must for any health food fanatics - introducing Smoked Sockeye Salmon Nova Lox 8.
- Featuring wild fish caught in Alaska, you can be sure that you’ll have everything you need for increased brain and joint health.
- This is a very tasty fish, preserved by using natural ingredients.
- The price - this is another pricey fish that won’t go easy on the wallet.
Another sockeye salmon that’s smoked using alder fires. This is fresh and tasty - introducing the 7 Seas Alder Smoked Sockeye Salmon.
- This is preserved using natural salt, sealed in a packet so that it will be delivered directly to your door.
- This is flash-frozen by the fishermen who originally caught it.
- The price - due to the method of preservation, this company has charged a lot to ship this fish.
This is another wild Alaskan salmon, with a texture that will melt in the mouth once you have cooked it - introducing Wild Alaskan Smoked salmon Portion.
- This is caught fresh and preserved within half an hour of catching. It is sealed with salt and flesh-frozen.
- This is great for any novice chef, as it will not require a lot of preparation to cook it.
- Some users have complained that this fish has arrived a bit dry.
Finally, we have a real epic fish that will knock you out when it comes to flavor and texture. This is great for people on the paleo diet, preserved in its natural oils and salts - introducing Poseidon Atlantic Salmon Fillets.
- This fish might come out of a packet, but that does not mean that it is not brimming with healthy ingredients such as vitamin D, omega 3 and sodium.
- This is great for a family, as it is very reasonably priced and very easy to cook.
- These come in very small pieces and customers have complained that they burn too easily when cooked in the frying pan.
Paleo Smoked Salmon Brands Compared Buying Guide
There are a number of things that you’ll need from your fresh paleo salmon:
How Are They Preserved?
You’ll want salmon that is preserved using natural salts and uses no artificial preservatives or flavors.
Is It Caught Fresh?
You’ll want a fish that is flash-frozen to preserve as much of its natural flavors as possible. This is especially important if you are ordering from a long distance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Salmon Paleo?
Because salmon is freshly caught, most of it is paleo. This only applies to fresh salmon that you can get from your local fish market, as fish bought in a can from a supermarket will contain a lot of preservatives.
The paleo diet requires the adherent to eat like the cavemen did, that is, only whole ingredients with no artificial preservatives, colorings or flavors. It is meant to keep the food that you eat in line with your evolutionary biology. It is said to be great for treating auto-immune diseases and gut inflammation.