When it comes to eating paleo foods, it does not have to be boring. There is a wide abundance of foods to choose from that taste great and are easy to make!
One of our personally favorite dishes is Spicy Chorizo, it is filling and super tasty. Not only that, but it is easy to make too. You do not have to worry about having to spend a long time cooking and preparing because it is a quick dish to make.
In this article, we will be chatting you through how to make Spicy Chorizo. We have included our favorite ingredients, tips, and the steps you need to take to create this dish.
When you are choosing meat to use when following a paleo diet, it is not easy to find one that is not full of any added chemicals, or sugar. However, you will want to always choose the meat based on the ingredients list. Even then, it is not always as easy as picking up meat off the shelves.
As a result, sometimes it is better to create your own ground meat. That way, you know exactly what is being added to the dish, and you don’t have to worry about ingredients that are not paleo friendly.
When it comes to making spicy chorizo, it is surprisingly easy, and when you make your own, it typically tastes nicer and fresher than anything store bought too! After you have made this chorizo, you can use it in many dishes, or you can eat it as a snack — it is completely up to you!
Some great dishes spicy chorizo can be added to include, zucchini spaghetti, butternut squash lasagna, and even curry too!
Given that this is a spicy chorizo recipe, it does provide a good amount of heat. However, if you prefer a more subdued flavor, you can choose to leave out some of the spices. Our recipe is a rough guide, and you do not need to use every single spice — feel free to make it your own!
While there are ingredients such as onion powder, you can choose to use real onions, or substitute this powder for another spice instead. Mustard powder is a good alternative to consider.
On the whole, this recipe does not take long to prepare, and it will take around 15 minutes. When you taste how great it is, this will certainly be a staple recipe you use!
How To Make Spicy Chorizo
– 5 minutes
– 10 minutes
Total Cooking Time
– 15 minutes
- Ground pork – 1 pound (ca. 454 gram)
- Garlic powder – 1 tablespoon (or one fresh clove)
- Onion powder – 1 teaspoon (or you can use fresh onion)
- Chili Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Paprika – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon
- Hot sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Cider vinegar – 2 tablespoons
You can alter these according to your own personal tastes too.
- To begin with, you will want to place the ground pork into a bowl, along with all of the other ingredients you are planning to use. You can add all of these ingredients at once, you do not need to add them slowly.
- Once all of your ingredients are added, you will then want to begin mixing them all together. We would recommend mixing them by hand, as this will allow the ingredients to spread evenly through the meat. If you are using your hands, for cleanliness purposes, you will want to wear a glove. This also helps to prevent contamination. Alternatively, you can use a fork. However, this method does take longer and will increase the overall preparation time, which is something to take into consideration.
- Once all of the ingredients are mixed together thoroughly, you can then begin the cooking process. This does not take too long. You will want to heat up your skillet, and add a small amount of oil to the pan. Allow the pan to be quite hot before you begin cooking.
- When the pan has reached a good heat, you can then add the pork mix to the pan. We would recommend using a steady medium heat. If the meat cooks at too high a temperature, this will cause it to burn.
- The meat should cook within around 10 minutes, however, the times can vary. This is why it is important to keep a close eye on the meat. This will give you a better idea of when it has been cooked completely. The meat will be ready once it has turned brown, and is no longer pink.
- Once the meat has cooked, it can be removed and added to your meal. Alternatively, you can wait for it to cool to use it at a later time.
So there you have it, that was our spicy chorizo recipe. As you can see, it is super simple and easy to recreate. Not only does it take only 15 minutes to make, but it tastes fantastic too.
The more you recreate this recipe, the more you can make it your own. You do not have to use all of the ingredients we have included, you can use more or less, depending on your personal preference.
You can also choose to add a sauce to the chorizo, along with vegetables and a carb alternative, to turn this into a tasty meal.